Thursday, September 13, 2012

Hunger Games ~ Which is Better?

Authors Note: In this piece, I was trying to get my opinion across in a professional way. I tried to focus on my voice and vocabulary. With this piece I was trying to accomplish a compare and contrast type of format.
In the history of movie making, has there ever been a movie that has been better as a book? In all the books that I have read and then saw the movie, the book has always better.When directors make a movie based on a book, they should have to use the book more than just a guideline to what they are putting in the movie. When I saw the movie, there were many parts in the book that the director cut out in the movie. I was disappointed in this decision.

There were some things in the movie that matched the book almost perfectly. For example, in the beginning, when Effie and the others from the capital came to District 12, and chose the tributes. That whole scenario was perfect, down to what she was wearing and how her hair was done. Another subject that  was especially accurate in detail is how well Gary was able to match the characters' descriptions with the actual person playing the role. The last thing that  was up to par was the way that the movie was as engaging to the audience as the book. I was really happy about this because I had pretty high expectations of the movie, this one was fulfilled.

One of the most disappointing things that I felt when I saw the movie was the lack of small detail that he left out, For instance, when Katniss was presented to the sponsors, in the book she expressed herself by leaving her hair a braid down her back. In the movie she had her hair done very fancy. Another seemly small detail that Gary left out of the movie was in the end when Katniss and Peeta were going to eat the berries. In the book they actually put the berries in their mouth and after the game-keeper announced that they were both the winners of the game, they spit them out. In the movie, they only counted to three and were just about to consume them when the game-keeper had made the announcement. It is very disappointing that these are only two of the very many mistakes that Gary made when directing this movie.

Most of the time, when directors take out some of the small detail that could have been added easily, they are doing it for the sake of time. They don't want the movie to be too long.This is an unacceptable reason to edit out small detail. I know that I would rather watch a longer movie and have the movie be completely accurate to the book then watch a shorter, less detailed, inaccurate version of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment