Thursday, October 11, 2012

Cake

Author's Note: This piece was originally a stream of consciousness that I turned into a writing piece. The word that we started with is 'sugar' In this piece I strived to paint a picture for my audience. I want you to feel like you are there. 



All the lights were out and all eyes were on me. Some people were singing just because they had to and others with a warm smile on their face. I touched my hands to my face and felt the hot skin of my cheeks because I had been blushing so deep. I was in shock by how much cake there was and how tasty it looks. I had to resist putting just one finger in and tasting the sugary subsists that seemed so appealing at the time. After the soft tune had ended I made a quick wish, one that was so brief that I couldn't remember and took the biggest breathe I could before the wax would melt onto the cake. I let all out and in one poof the flames had vanished and we were in total darkness. Someone that I could not see through all the people flipped the switch and the room went from complete darkness to what seemed as the light of day.

As soon as I could set my eyes on my cake again, I saw that someone had put a finger print in it and that it was not me. As soon as my dad had seen the missing frosting he turned and looked at me. I swore to him that I did not do it, believe me he did not. He gave me the look, the kind of look like, I know what you did. After looking around for the culprit, I laid eyes on my sister. She had her finger in her mouth and I know at that moment it was her. I pointed to her and said, "Daddy, daddy, Leihan did it." Still, he did not believe me but at least I knew that the mystery was solved.

He took out what seemed to be a gigantic knife, touched the tip to my cake and sliced through the sugary cake. I made sure that everybody had got a piece of cake before I took my first bit. After that, there was no stopping me; I devoured that piece of cake in about 3 minutes flat. When I finished, I didn't even bother to throw my plate in the garbage before I plopped down on the couch.  I felt as though I might explode.

Everyone was in the kitchen laughing, and chatting for a few minutes before anyone besides my sister noticed that I was not there. My father called out my name and asked where I was, but before a single word could escape my lips, he laid his eyes and expressed his concern on my laying on the couch. I told him why, he smiled and completely understood. He grabbed a blanket, covered me, tucked me in, and turned on Disney for me. Within 5 minutes I fell asleep, and that would be my last memory of my sixth birthday party.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this piece. You have an honest voice, and there is a quality here that never was in your writing last year, and that is mainly pride, and a real connection. Well done. As far as the author's note is concerned, I felt you achieved your goal fully. Excellent job.

    ReplyDelete